facials

facials

Monday, January 18, 2016

A few more additions you’ll need

SOOTHING MUSIC is one of the most essential ingredients to have in your facial. Music helps to create a relaxing environment for your client. I have very specific preferences on the music I use in my facials.  I look for a monotone (a voice or other sound unchanging in pitch; without intonation or expressiveness), hypnotic sound. I will list a few of my favorites. Most of these are easy to come by on Amazon or other music source. 
  • Steven Roach/Quiet Music I, II, III
  • Stephen Halpern/Spectrum Suite,.and others
  • William Aura/Aurasound l, ll
  • Brian Eno/Music for Airports
  • Iasos/Angelic Music
To play this soothing music, you’ll need a CD player or perhaps an iPod. I have always used CD players (and tape players in the ’80s!), but whichever device you prefer to useplay music! Silence, unless the client requests it, is deafening. Be sure your CD player has a repeat feature so you don’t have to mess with hitting replay during the facial. For a full list from my facial music library, see Don’t keep silent in a facial—music-wise (link below).

I have had facials where the aesthetician was playing the radio, set on a “quiet music station, but it’s the radio, nonetheless, and I don’t recommend it. Nowadays many practitioners (massage, facial, and even therapists) utilize Pandora, a free online “radio station that plays music you choose.

SHEETS. Flannel sheets are a welcome covering to any body. They are not only warm but they just plain feel good! Keeping your client warm is of great importance. No one can truly relax if they are feeling cool or worsecold. I have both flannel as well as 100% cotton sheets. I am actually a stickler with full cotton. Poly/cotton blends or plain polyester sheets just dont feel good to me. And if they dont feel good to me, they probably wont feel good for my clients who are lying on them. It doesnt cost that much more to go the extra mile and get 100% cotton and/or soft, flannel sheets.

BLANKETS. Along with your flannel or cotton sheets, a warm cotton blanket is essential. Be prepared for the cold blooded. Have several blankets on hand in case your client needs them. Everyone’s comfort zones are different and some people (I am one of them) cannot keep warm easily while lying still. I have 3 blankets on my facial bed (one is over the entire area; one is folded in half; the 3rd on is for the feet area). I also have 3 spare blankets on hand for anyone who gets cold.
This looks like a facial bed I want to get into!
HEATED BLANKETS. I do use an electric blanket on the very bottom of my table. The bottom sheet goes over it, so in essence the client is laying on the heated blanket. You can purchase an expensive heated pad or blanket from a beauty supply or massage store. I have found in my years in business that a simple, twin-sized electric blanket from Target does a great job and is usually at least half the price.

My heated blanket has a range of heat from 1-10. When I am making up the bed for a client, I put the blanket heat on 5. Once the client is in the bed, I tell them the range and ask them if they want me to adjust the heat. Most people are fine starting out then ask me to raise the heat to 7, 8 or even 10 by the time I have the clay mask on them toward the end of the facial.

Even in the summertime, due to air conditioning in the office and the fact that clients arent wearing a lot of clothing (just a smock and socks), the heated blanket is a wonderful option for your clients. You may be surprised that you use the heat 365.  

SMOCKS. I think smocks are essential. I have gotten facials where there was not a smock for me to wear. Although the aesthetician left the room for me to undress and get (naked) in to her facial bed, I still don't like the feeling of having nothing on under the bedding.

All of these decisions are going to be up to you based on what you like and what you want to do. I usually base my decisions on my personal likes and dislikes. Since I dislike getting naked for a facial, I always provide a smock for all clients.

I have two different smocks available. One is a simple elastic top, the other has a Velcro closing. Why have 2 types? Thinner or less busty clients are fine slipping on the elastic smock. But for women who are very full busted or are overweight, they need something that allows for this. 

When I have a brand new client coming in, I usually put both on the bed. When I am explaining about putting the smock on, I grab the one they should use and inconspicuously remove the other one. I doubt my clients ever see this slide of hand. And having both smocks avoids any uncomfortable moments. You would never want to say something like, You wont fit into this, so Ill get you a bigger smock.Please dont do this! Be prepared and please be discreet. I have heard horror stories of how other aestheticians have handled basic client procedures like this.

SOCKS. I tend to be cold-natured. Therefore I am sensitive to the needs of people who come to my salon who also may run on the cold side. I have always supplied warm, comfy socks for my clients to wear during their facial treatment. I would say only half of those offered actually wear the socks, but for those that do, the socks are a little extra that are always appreciated. I purchase super soft, thick socks that are easy to find. Dont skip this small, seemingly incidental extra.

TOWELS. You will need towels, lots and lots of towels. I don’t think you can have too many towels. I prefer to have two towels resting on my lap. One fully spread out and the second folded in half the long way. The second, top towel is “hand towel size and is what I wipe my hands on. The larger one is a bath towel and stays underneath the hand towel to protect my clothes. I dont wipe anything on this larger, underneath protective towel. Otherwise my clothes could get product on them. When I worked at a fancy spa in Dallas, I wore very dressy clothing. My friends were always surprised I didn’t ruin them giving facials. Other than being careful and relatively neat, without the lap towels, it would be a disaster.

You also want a hand towel under the clients head to catch the dead cells during gommage or any other exfoliation you may do in your treatment. It is best if it reaches to her shoulders without being too far under, so when it is removed, all you have to do is gently lift her head and her shoulders don’t have to lift up as well. Thats a minor detail, but the details count when it comes to your client’s comfort and ability to relax.

Finally, you may have a client who needs a rolled up towel placed under her neck. Some people have back and/or neck problems, so yo will no doubt run into people who need something under their heads. Sometimes rolling a hand towel does the trick; others need a flat, folded towel under their head to lift it up a bit.

Having extra towels on hand for cleanup is also a good idea. I like to have washcloths under a few of my products (that are not on my working trolley) to keep the drip from ruining whatever table or trolley.

MACHINES. Although I dont think you necessarily need machines, I am still including a few words about them here.

I use no machines in my facials. I never have (except in my first two jobs) and I never will. This is my personal preference based on having used just about every machine available back in the 80s and not liking the feel of them in general and specifically not seeing results or not liking the results from using them.

Just about every aesthetician uses at least steam, if not other machinery. In Machines used in facials—are they necessary? on my layperson site (see link below), I discuss the different machines that a client may come across in a facial treatment. Obviously, I also explain my opinion(s) about the machinery too.  Here I will not go into the various machines you might use in your facials. I will leave that research and experimentation to you.

I think I have covered just about everything I use in my treatments and salon, from odds and ends to major pieces of equipment. You may find more articles with things I forgot, but for sure these posts are a good start for anyone!

For more information, see: