facials

facials

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Importance of a Cancellation List

I cannot stress enough how important having a cancellation list is to your business. If you are not currently using one, I highly recommend you start using one now.

Maybe your business isnt big enough to really have a list yet. But as soon as you have one client who wants to come in on a particular day at a specific time where you already have a facial booked, you need to put that client on a cancellation list. You never know, the already booked client may need to cancel last minute and now you have someone to potentially fill that vacancy.

When I was running both my Dallas and Chicago offices, I was very busy all of the time. If someone called to come in, they might have to wait as long as two months before I had any openings. Here there was an obvious need for a cancellation list and I used one frequently to get clients in who were on that list. Because it was hard to get in for a facial, most people on the list were thrilled when I called them with a cancellation spot to fill.

Sometimes I had as many as 10 or more people on my cancel list each week. When I had a cancellation, I would simply go down the list and call each person, one by one, and eventuallyalmost alwaysI could fill the hole in my schedule. Many times I would get an answering machine or voicemail. I would let the client know on my message to them that I was going down my list, so by the time they heard my message the spot might already be filled, but to call just in case.

Usually the first person who answered my call would be the one who took the appointment, but not always. These appointment fill-ins are first come, first served. Whoever was the first person to let me know they wanted to fill the slot was the person I booked. I would then cross them off my cancellation list since they would be coming in soon. If this was a last minute (or less than 24-hours notice) cancellation, I would also, out of courtesy, email or otherwise let the client who cancelled know that I was able to fill the slot and would not be charging them. (Always welcomed news.) Read further for more information on not charging a rebooked appointment.

I cant tell you how vital this list has been in my business. If you are currently in business then you probably already know there are many cancellationssometimes last minuteas well as clients who need to change and rearrange their appointments with you. Not everyone is a last-minute canceller; many clients (most actually) give you plenty of time to refill the openings they are creating. This is just part of the scheduling game. So having a list of people to fill empty slots can keep your business thriving and your schedule booked.

Once in a while when I get a cancellation I dont fill it. I may take the afternoon off (if it was the last appointment of the day that cancelled) or have a late morning at home. This is of course up to you. And obviously, I am not always able to fill empty slots, even with more than 24 hours notice. That is just part of being in business. I will either leave the office and run errands or do things around the office that I havent had the opportunity to get to. 

As for my cancellation policy, I require at least 24 hours notice of a cancellation or the client runs the risk of being charged full appointment fee. There are exceptions, of course, as you can read in Website ideas: My Cancellation Policy as well as More on My Cancellation Policy (links below). Over the last few years I have purposely kept a slower pace in my business (since moving to Boulder), and I have also become more lenient with cancellations. In other words, I am more apt to let a client slide without charging them. But when business was booming, having an opening due to a last minute cancellation that I was unable to fill was not something I took lightly. Even with my slower pace nowadays, I still use a cancellation list. It truly is an asset.

PLEASE READ THIS: If I am able to rebook a less-than-24-hours-notice cancellation from my cancellation list, I never (never) charge the person who cancelled. When the client calls to cancel, I do let them know that if I can refill their time slot, I will not charge them. Yet another good reason for a cancellation list. It can save your existing clients who may need to cancel without a solid reason (like being sick or getting in an accident) a lot of money. The more time a client who cancels at the last minute gives you to rebook the appointment, the better for everyone. It will be easier to find someone to fill the opening and you wont have to charge your last-minute canceller who then gets to save her money and perhaps feel like she dodged a bullet. Maybe next time shell give you more notice.

For more details, see:
Of course, I never charge a sick client for cancelling. Be well!