facials

facials

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

What’s in a name—What will you call your business?


If and when you decide to open your own skin care business, choosing a name will be top on the list of important things to decide on. I no longer have the paper where I wrote down all of my ideas for my new business name, but eventually I decided on Carolyn Ash Skin Care.

I knew 100% I would use my own name in the business name. I wanted to brand my business with name recognitionmy name. It will be your choice whether you use your name or come up with something else to call your business. I have seen wonderful salon names that didnt resemble a persons name.

When I sold my business in Chicago I didnt sell my name (Carolyn Ash Skin Care). The woman who purchased the salon changed the name to Pelle Sana Salon. Pelle sana means healthy skin in Italian. This is a good example of a great name that is easy to remember and has everything to do with your business, in this case skin care.

Be sure to do a google search on the name you end up choosing. Unless youre using your own name, someone else may have beat you to the punch. You certainly dont want to similar salon names in the same city where you will be officed.

I will discuss branding and logos in future post, Creating a company logo, but for now, coming up with a solid name that you love and can live with for years to come is the most important thing to concentrate on. 

No matter which way you decide to go, choosing a name is a long-term decision, and I recommend you take your time with it. Ask a lot of people what they think, take in the information, then decide with great excitement what you will now be calling your business.

Be sure to read (upcoming) Create a website no matter the size of your business for another idea to get the word out abut your new business.