facials

facials

Monday, July 13, 2015

Furniture you’ll need to get started

Here are some of the essentials you’ll want to have for your facial and for your clients as well. Some may be more obvious than others, but I have had facials where the details weren’t taken into consideration. This always makes a difference in your client’s experience, which you always want to be a great one.

This article involves the basic furniture you will need in order to give a facial. The next two installments involve equipment (some you are required to have) and various odds and ends youll want to be sure to purchase. See links below to all the articles youll want to read.

The Facial Bed.  Your first and in many ways the most important piece of “furniture” you will need to buy is a facial bed. I will discuss some of the types in detail here. I recommendwith almost everythingwhen you are first starting out to not necessarily get the gold standard, most expensive facial bed or any other piece of furniture or equipment. Keeping your costs down when you're first starting out is paramount to your eventual success. I am not saying you should skimp on something as important as the bed your clients will be lying on in treatment. I am recommending not getting a gold-plated one for your first day in business. Be conservative, knowing that if you start bringing in a good income, some things can be upgraded if need bein time.
I want to get a facial on this bed!
My very first job as an aesthetician was for Lydia Sarfati’s Repechage skin care company in 1985. The salon space was inside Bloomingdale’s in Dallas, Texas. I learned a lot with this job; probably the best thing I learned was regarding the facial bed. Here I came in contact with the PML Chair. Imported from Italy, I truly believe this is the best bed/chair to get a facial in. Sadly, I have not been able to find this chair for the past many years. The last time I had one was in my Dallas salon. Once I moved to Chicago, then Boulder, I could not locate anyone who knew this item, let alone carried it.

The PML chair has about 7" of padding throughout and reclines your client so her head is slightly lower than her feet, increasing blood circulation to her face. The back is very well supported for most people. I have found the petite sized body isn’t as comfortable with the lower back support, but overall, this chair is far superior to any on the market. I mention it here because in case you happen to run across one, I’d think twice before passing it by.

For me, next best facial bed is a massage table. I prefer one that has a folding headrest. The client is sitting up when I walk into the treatment room, then I recline the back of the table for the facial. After the facial, I can set the client up by lifting the back of the table. I find this works best for me; find what works for you.

The one pictured here is the exact table I have used for the past 8 years. It has a good thick cushion and the headrest raises and lowers. Along with a bolster and really comfy sheets, I think this makes a really comfortable bed for your clients. I ordered this on Amazon and paid just over $300, including shipping. I just checked, and it is currently not available there, but that could change. (For reference, this is the Master Massage Salon Professional Oversize Portable Massage Table, 29 Inch.)
 
There are many beds made specifically for facials. Some have hydraulics to lift or lower the bed by using a petal. These tables are also very expensive with the added feature of possibly losing the hydraulicssomething that is pricey to have repaired. Use what you like. If you are new to your business, I’d start with a massage tableone that has a lot of padding for good client comfort.

If you go a less expensive route with a less cushiony table, you will need to get some kind of egg crate-type foam topper (twin size) or something that adds some comfort, otherwise the thinner tables are like lying on a board—not a good idea if you’re trying to build a business. I said earlier to not necessarily go all out when you buy a bed, but I also said dont skimp, either. Try to find a sweet spot somewhere in between.

I highly recommend having a bolster or oversized wedge to place under a clients knees to relieve pressure off her lower back. Without having this type of cushion, you run the risk of any or all of your clients feeling uncomfortable during their facials. Since lying flat puts strain on the lower back, you are keeping your clients safe as well as comfortable during the course of your treatment. I do have one client (one!) who prefers to have the bolster removed, but she is an exception. If for some reason you don’t have a bolster of some sort, you can always roll up large towels or a blanket to substitute.

I purchased my bolster at a local massage supply store. I wanted to try out all the different kinds and sizes until I found the one I thought would be best for my clients. You are wanting to elevate their knees enough to help the lower back lye down and relax. Not enough height could put strain on the back; too much cushion might feel uncomfortable and awkward.

Mine is similar to the one pictured. It is round, although bolsters come in many shapes and sizes. The one I use also has some give to it. Its not super soft, but it isnt unmoving like a log under your legs.    

Aesthetician Chair. We have covered the comfort of your client, now you will need to find a chair that is comfortable for you. Your comfort is equally as important as your clients. If you are not relaxed, this will translate to the people lying in your facial bed. I prefer a swivel chair. This way I can move around freely without stressing my lower backthe chair swivels, not my body. These are easy to find at an office supply store. They are simple to put together and are usually fully adjustable.

For most of the facial, I have the chair in the highest position; when Im doing extractions, I put the chair down lower so Im closer to my clients face. Without the ability to adjust it up and down, your chair isnt really going to serve the purpose it needs to. (You can see the lever in this photo on the side of the chair. This is what gives you the ability to put the seat higher or lower, depending.)

Be sure to purchase an armless chair. Arms will hinder your mobilitythey simply get in the way. I would also look for a chair in a color that somewhat matches your decor or is at least more neutral vs. bright blue, as in this photo. 

The Trolley. The last piece of furniture is a trolley to put your professional products (sometimes called back bar) among other things youll need during each treatment. I prefer to have my equipment to be movable, so having wheels on my trolley is a must. I also require a multiple shelf trolley so I can have all the products and other items within arm’s reach.


I put small towels on the shelves that will have product lying on them. This way you can keep things neat and clean in case you have any drips or liquid accidents with any of your products. Towels also keep everything quiet while you're putting things back down after use. Hearing clinking and clankingfor your clientis not very relaxing. Towels buffer the noise.

The contents of the trolley and lots of odds and ends youll want to get for it are discussed in an upcoming post written exclusively for the trolly itself. This is such an important component to my facial, I am dedicating the whole post to The Trolley—Part 1.

So your essential pieces of furniture just to be able to give a treatment are:
  • the facial bed
  • a bolster for the bed
  • the aestheticians chair
  • a trolley for products and such
The next article will focus on more essentials for your treatment room. As you will see in all of the posts on what youll need, you may learn you need more than you expected when you were thinking about opening a salon. See: