facials

facials

Friday, May 22, 2015

Client Preparation: Part II

As I wrote about in Client Preparation: Part I, I am always in my office before my scheduled client arrives—even if she’s early I am there to greet her. Here is a general rundown of what I say and do once she has walked through the front door:

The Initial Greeting. Assuming this is a first-time client, I stand up, put my hand out and shake her hand, asking “Are you Mary?” and introducing myself, “Hi, I’m Carolyn.” I do this in my current office because there are several professionals working in the suite. However, I did this (introducing myself) in my other offices where I worked alone. I never assume anything, even that the client knows my name. And I always know their name before they walk in the door. That may seem obvious or it may even sound unimportant, but in order to make a good first impression and have an instant connection with this new client, knowing her first name upon introductions is crucial. In other words, I’m not saying “Hi, I’m Carolyn. Who are you?” I have had facials where the aesthetician didn't make a formal introduction (why not?) and it felt like a true connection was never made.

Room introduction. I start walking to my facial room, asking if she needs to use the bathroom. I highly recommend having this “service” available. After all, who can relax when they have to go? If she opts for this, I tell her she can leave her things (purse and coat if applicable) in my room and meet me back there when she’s done.

Instructions. Once in my room, I tell my client this: “I’m going to tell you what I need you to do, then I’m going to leave you to do it.” Many times this gets a chuckle as a response. I’m not sure why exactly, maybe because I’m so deliberate. Regardless, I want them to have full knowledge of what is going on and why from the minute I meet them till they leave my front door. Here is what I tell them:
  • I’m going to have you put this smock on like so [demonstrating that the smock goes above the breasts but not over her shoulders].
  • I’d recommend taking your pants off since you’ll be lying in this bed under a lot of blankets plus it’s heated underneath, so you’ll be more comfortable if you take everything off and just wear the smock.
  • If you want to leave your bra on [some clients do], just slip the straps off your shoulders so that area [the décolleté] is clear.
  • You can wear these socks or keep your own on—or not wear any at all. [I supply socks as well as a smock so I make sure my client is comfy.] 
  • There are hangers behind the door, or you can put things on any flat surface. [I have a desk, as well as a little high table for them to put their things.] 
  • I need earrings and necklace off. [Some ask about rings, but I don’t do anything below the décolleté in my treatments. If you do, obviously, have them take rings and bracelets off as well.]
  • Before you get into the bed, just open the door a little bit so I know you’re ready, then climb in and I’ll come in and give you a facial!
Note: I supply both simple elastic-top smocks and smocks that close with Velcro. Some women fit into the elastic smock just fine; others need the ability to expand the top, so the Velcro style closure makes a better fit for these women.

The smock and socks are already waiting on the heated bed.
I don’t like waiting and wondering if my client is ready and in the bed. Since I’m not a mind reader, I like the client to crack the door open so I’m not left to wait, knock on the door and say “Are you ready?” I already know she is because she has opened the door a bit. I wait a few seconds so she can get under the blankets, then I go in and give a great facial.

My preparation. I leave them in the room to get ready while I go and thoroughly wash my hands. I can only hope that all aestheticians are doing this—washing their hands. I have been to a few facials and several massages where I did not see evidence of this most basic sanitary procedure. What can I say?—Ick!

Continue to read posts on client preparation and giving the facial to understand how I have been working as an aesthetician for over 30 years.