facials

facials

Friday, April 17, 2015

Confirming Appointments—Part I

I always confirm all facials the day before the appointment. Always. In my appointment book I circle a little “©” by the clients name once I have confirmed the appointment. That way I know I have confirmed it, rather than relying on my memory as to whether I did or didnt. Nine times out of 10 I get a voicemail/answering machine. My confirmation message goes something like this:
  • Hello Mary, This is Carolyn Ash and Im calling to confirm your facial appointment with me tomorrow, Wednesday @ 2.30. Ill look forward to seeing you then!

I cannot tell you how many clients forget they have the appointment, forget to call to cancel or reschedule, or have some other issue that makes them say during the confirmation call, “Oh, I cant make it tomorrow.” Why they dont call when they realize they cant come, I dont know (or like!). But at least I find out on the confirmation call, which does give me the rest of the day to try and fill that tomorrow appointment. Therefore, confirming your next day appointments early in the day is a good idea. Another good idea is to have a cancellation list, something I discuss in detail in The Importance of a Cancellation List (see link below).

I find that very few professionals confirm their appointments. Hair stylists, massage therapists, aestheticians; people just dont confirm appointments. I also know that coworkers Ive worked around have people no-show their unconfirmed appointments. Confirming helps take a no-show out of the picture. And confirming also gives me the go-ahead to charge for a no-show since I took the initiative and reminded the client they had an appointment the next day with me, and they still didnt show up.

Although I don’t like to, I will always charge a no-showed, confirmed appointment. Obviously, there are exceptions; perhaps there has been an accident or an emergency that didn’t allow the client to contact me.  But if there isn’t an excuse that prevented a call to me, I do charge full appointment fee on all no-shows.

For further reading, see: